Thursday, September 12, 2013

My Favorite Film? Today? The Paper (pre-viewing review, contains no spoilers)

Someone asked me the other day what my favorite movie is.  I take that question to mean "what is either your favorite movie OR film."  That is usually a very difficult question to answer for me.  There are so many fantastic movies and films out there all over the world.  For some reason I had a moment of clarity and yes to my surprise, I had an answer for him.  My reply?  “The Paper”.  I believe that “The Paper” will always appear in my ever changing top 5 films of all time, but for that particular moment of that particular day “The Paper” was without hesitation, my definitive answer.  Many people have not heard of “The Paper” which can be found  these days on DVD and VHS if you still have such a video playing device (truth be told, I still have a VCR).  So if this is your first exposure to this wonderful film, feel free to keep reading.
 
“The Paper” directed by Ron Howard, released in 1994 stars my favorite actor Michael Keaton as Harvey Hackett.  The film also showcases the talents of Marissa Tomei, Glenn Close, Robert Duval, Randy Quaid among others.  You might be saying to yourself: “but Lance, how can this movie be so great and have all of these stars in it and I haven’t heard of it?”  I have no idea, but it’s a travesty!
 
The film is about two inner city youths charged with the murder of two Wall Street businessmen.  Every newspaper in New York City is trying to get the scoop, however, only one newspaper cares enough to get the accurate account of what happened.  Subplots include but are not limited to: broken down air conditioning during a heat wave, Randy Quaid upsetting an elected official and Michael Keaton having a baby with his wife Marissa Tomei and working too much.
 
Technically, the subject matter lands us squarely in the Drama genre, however with this cast, the comedic elements come out at all the appropriate times and makes this one of (if not the most) enjoyable times I have had watching a film.  I hope you check it out and come back to discuss it with me in the post viewing review.

No comments:

Post a Comment